Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Welcome to the Show...

It's hard writing an opening statement. I mean, it's the first thing the audience is going to hear (or read, I guess) and in many ways, it's going to determine if they tune in or tune out. Hopefully me explaining the obvious to you was sufficient enough to invite the former. :p

This blog will be devoted to my own personal examinations of the world around me, through the context of the mediums I consume. I may choose to relate cultural biases with video game narratives, I could review release schedules of movies in line with propaganda for foreign policy, but mostly I just want to get a good chuckle and a "hmmm" from you.

Most of my posts will be various series of articles, if I get any readers they will always have first say of which series should continue, die, change, etc.

If I may, allow me to present my first article and planned series:

*Drumroll*

*Kazoo*



Why We Play: A Look Into the Mechanics of Mechanics.




WWP will be an ongoing series in which I take a popular video game, play it, then attempt to explain the true engagements of the experience. From a gamer's perspective, why is it fun? What do we see in the bleeps and boops other see as so trivial?

Very often games are falsely attributed as being appealing solely due to gratuitous depictions of violence or over sexualization of characters.  This is a stigma I wish to clarify as to when this is absolutely true...:

(Warning, extreme depictions of sex & violence, duh)

Dead or Alive (Strangely, not the violent one)
Hatred


...and when knee-jerk reaction has rendered people unable see anything different:

Bayonetta


These will start out as mainly text posts with links to relevant video, but I hope to eventually graduate to making full videos. Well I think that explains everything nicely for now. First installment of WWP should be up in a few days. Enjoy the ride.

- MKG





No comments:

Post a Comment

There's alot more where this came from if you go to the dance with me.

Yours Truly,
MKG